What to expect in the course...
This Elder Mediation Training is a specialized course with 20-hours of training that includes, lectures, interviews, activities, role plays, video demonstrations and readings. Utilizing a person-centered and trauma informed model, the course will share with participants the skills, knowledge and competencies required to be an effective Elder Mediator. An added value in this course is the inclusion of an individual coaching session with the Course Instructor.
Note: The current offering is Section One of ongoing training for those working toward building their Elder Mediation certification hours with either Family Mediation Canada or the Elder Mediation International Network.
Topics will include:
• Impact of Ageism in all its forms; “isms” generally
• Cultural diversity & building cultural awareness
• Recognizing & Responding to Elder Abuse & Neglect
• Screening – indicators, signs and symptoms
• Safety planning & referral sources
• Ongoing Balance of Power,
• Building/maintaining trust;
• Addressing subtleties of control; inclusive language
• Ethics and ethical issues weaved throughout
• Elder Mediation Practice guidelines
• Elder Mediator competency & basic understanding of brain health
• Impact of trauma and high conflict personality types
Who should attend: Those wishing to learn about Elder Mediation, Family, wills and estate mediators; Psychologists, Physicians, nurses and other health care professionals, Social Workers, Lawyers practicing in the area of elder law, wills, estates and trusts. This training may also be of interest to other professions who are interested in mediation generally and in working with age related matters.